I love a good soup. There is nothing like enjoying a cup or bowl of soup on a cold wintry night. This lentil and kale soup is perfect after a day outside in the snow or coming in after shoveling the driveway. It is hearty, filling and has a lovely combination of spices that seem to dance on your tastebuds. Most of all, it has as complex and delightful flavor that will find you enjoying each and every spoonful.
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know that I enjoy sharing soups with you. This soup recipe below is completely vegetarian. However, you can substitute vegetable, chicken or beef stock in place of the water for a richer deeper flavor. For me, I used what I had on hand to accommodate for a vegetarian diner. I hope you enjoy this one as much as we do.
Lentil and Kale Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cups of diced carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 cup of red lentils
- 1/2cup of green lentils
- 1– 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1– 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 6 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Saute the carrot and onion in the olive oil until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Next, add the spices and saute for 2 minutes
- Then, add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and simmer for 2 minutes to release the flavors
- Add the lentils, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the kale, additional salt and pepper to taste and simmer the lentil and kale soup for an additional 15 minutes.
We like to serve this lentil and kale soup with hot freshly baked rolls that are perfect for dipping and a salad. This soup recipe makes six generous bowls.
Craving more recipes from me? I’ve got plenty and you can find them by clicking on the “recipes” tab at the top of my website.