Geo Bird Cage: The Parakeets Get a New Home

November 2, 2020

I have kept parakeets since I was 12 years old. Growing up, my parents enjoyed my sisters and I having pets. Over the years, we’ve had dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, hermit crabs, and tropical fish, but it was my blue and white parakeet named Pipet, after 7th grade science class, that started my love affair with birds. Truthfully, except for college, I can’t recall a time when I didn’t have a companion parakeet or two to keep me company.

When I met my husband, I had two little parakeets in my Los Angeles apartment. When we realized that we were moving across the country, they came with us. I packed them into the Jeep in their cage in a spot where I had wedged out their own little space, complete with a window to look out across the miles. At night we snuck them into the hotel with us under the cover of darkness. They even spent some time in the parking lot at Elvis’s Graceland. They went on to live many years.

My children too are growing up with parakeets. From an early age, they would toddle over the cage, curiously watching and interacting. The same cage over 25 years old now houses our two parakeets Bluey and Sunny who have been with us for a few years.  The old cage has held up well and housed many birds over the years.

The parakeets in the Geo Bird Cage

But during the quarantine, it soon became apparent that all of us would be staying home much like the birds had been for so long. As we did much that so many folks did during quarantine- cleaning out closets, rearranging areas of the home and so forth, I thought perhaps the birds would like an upgrade of their home too. After all, sometimes a change of scenery can be a good thing.

As many of you know, I have had the pleasure to work with Omlet for a few years. Not only do they make chicken coops, but they also make other habitats for fido, hamsters and now birds. For some time now, I have had my eye on Omlet’s new Geo Bird Cage. I liked the style, shape and overall design. I have never seen anything like it. Plus, it offers so much more space than their current cage. As I explored it more watching the videos, I realized that this was the perfect cage for Bluey and Sunny.

As I went to order the Geo Bird Cage, I realized that you can basically chose any color combination that you can imagine. It is completely customizable. To match our home decor, I ordered the teal base with the gold mesh. I also added the cover and standing base.  Then it was just wait time. I tell you, my daughter asked me every day if it had arrived.

Assembling the Omlet Geo Bird Cage

Once the Geo Bird Cage arrived, my daughter and I got to work assembling it. The beautifully done packaging is organized. The instruction booklet is clear. It takes about an hour to assemble with all the hexagon shaped pieces. The design is really stellar. I am so happy to see that the food and water were centralized with a tray underneath to catch the seed hulls. How clever! Finally, it was time to get the birds into their new Geo Bird Cage.

Two birds are shown in the Geo Bird Cage

It looks so pretty tucked in between the chair and the window. It’s like it was made for this space.  The birds seem to be enjoying their new home too. They immediately started preening one another.

A set of two perches come with the Geo Bird Cage and they fit their little feet perfectly. The perches adjust easily, to prevent boredom and encourage different exercise patterns as well as ease of cleaning.

Close up Omlet Geo Bird Cage in use

The cage and birds are now a focal part of our living room and have been such a conversation piece with family that comes to visit. It seems everyone has “never seen a bird cage like this” before and I would have to agree. It is pretty special.

Omlet Geo Bird Cage on a table.

The Geo Bird Cage comes with everything to get started. Not included are the birds, food, water, grit and a cuttlebone. The two optional items that we also ordered were the tall stand and also the fantastic constellation-covered cage cover for the evenings. Both were worth the splurge. But I also wanted to share how lovely the cage looks on a table top as well. Either way, the birds seem to love their new home.

Geo Bird Cage

Disclosure: As part of my sponsorship relationship with Omlet, I received an Omlet Geo Bird Cage, a stand and a cage cover. However in no way have they been guaranteed a positive review, nor have they asked me to say certain things. The impressions, thoughts and words here in this post are all mine and completely unsolicited.  Thank you to Omlet for your generosity.

Melissa

Sharing adventures with backyard chickens, beekeeping, gardening, crafting, cooking and more.

RELATED POSTS

WRITE A COMMENT

15 thoughts on “Geo Bird Cage: The Parakeets Get a New Home”

1. This cage looks amazing would really really love one as i am looking for a new cage for my Hansome boy Stitch (He is a Blue Budgie) and he is keeping us sane during a really rough time! Unfortunatley its out of our price range. Fingers crossed for a win on the lottery (even though we dont play lol).
    Stay safe everyone.

• That cage is way to small even for a budgie they need BIG cages you should get a cage even advertised for large birds cause they need to be able to fly around if there in a cage for long periods of time

2. Unfortunately this cage isn’t ideal for the birds. Psychologically they look for corners to be able to “hide” when they need a moment away. This is essentially a round cage, which is documented to cause birds to sort of go crazy.

3. this cage is so small and not at all good for budgies. I’d suggest getting a better, bigger cage.
    Birds aren’t decorations, they’re pets.

• Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don’t consider these birds decorations, they are definitely our pets and they bring us much joy. I like to appreciate that cages can be both functional and beautiful and this cage is both. This cage has plenty of room when they are not out and about flying around the house.

4. I had 2 doves up until 3 weeks ago when I ended up in the hospital for 5 days because I was so sick. I couldn’t breathe and lost 20 lbs in a month. I thought it must be covid. Turns out I had Fancier Bird Disease. It’s from quarantining with my birds. I’ve had then 13 years. But being in the area where they were on there cage 24/7 made me so sick. I ended up having to move to a new apt. I couldn’t take anything with me and can’t be near birds in the future. I never heard of this before. Just thought I’d post this as a beware – you never know.

• Oh dear Yvette, I am so sorry you were so ill and I am glad to hear that you are better. Thanks for sharing your story and your experience. I wish you a full recovery and thanks for all the information.

5. Thank you for this review. Wondering what size stand you purchased? I am going to purchase this cage for our budgie and wondering which size is in your living room?

6. I ran across this blog post on Google, while looking for a new parakeet cage. I think this is so cute and my keet would love it. I did give my keet flying rights because I raised him from a baby and he knew his boundaries but when he is ready to turn in for a nap or bed, he usually sits in the middle of his round cage on his favorite perch. He has never had problems going into his small cage to sit on the porch but he needs a new cage due to the old one being worn out from 30 years of use. I think your birds look very happy and healthy. My Frankee is a rainbow budgie, turquoise color, white wings, with a yellow head. Good luck in the future with health and happiness for all of you:)

• All these months later, my parakeets seem to enjoy the cage. It is a lovely design. It did take a while for them to become accustomed to it. And they did turn a bit mischievous and figured out how to pull the food holder out. I ended up having to but a rubber band around both the food and water dishes. I did add a bath and I did add a small cup for grit. Overall, I am very happy with how easy it cleans and maintains.

7. Hello my name is Deb. I have 2 budgies, a green cheek conure, and as of this past Thursday I have a Goffins Cockatoo. All are rescues except for 1 of the budgies (had to have a friend for the other budgie) I’m retired or I couldn’t possibly do it. When done close to right it’s a lot of work! I love the geo cage! I think my budgies would like it too.! I just bought a big conure cage and the budgies seem to really like it too! Cages are open at 9am – 9pm all birds come and go as they wish but all has their own cages for feeding, safety and sleep and they are closed and covered at night.. I am bird crazy but this last adoption of the cockatoo is the last (unless someone comes to me needing a home for a bird ). Love your blog and thanks for introducing me to the geo cage!

• Oh I am so grateful to you for opening your home to rescues. I am so happy to hear that they are living such wonderful lives. I am happy to share things that I find useful and practical and also helpful. I do like the cage very much and it is so different from others you find on the market.