|image courtesy of marthastewart.com|
This is hands down one of the BEST recipes that I tried in 2010. Thank you Martha for sharing! This is from her Everday Food Magazine. It makes a great dinner or appetizer.
1 1/2 tablespoons flour plus more for rolling
2 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup whole milk
6 ounces thin sliced deli ham
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 large egg, beaten
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place oven rack in lower third.
2. On a floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet until they become 10″x13″ rectangles. Transfer to two parchment lined cookie sheets and refrigerate.
3. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the flour and then cook until golden colored about 1 minute.
4. Add milk and simmer. Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Pour sauce into bowl and let cool for 30 minutes.
5. Arrange ham evenly on one of the pastry sheets keeping a 3/4″ border. Top with cheese and sauce.
6. Brush the pastry border with egg and top with second pastry sheet. Fold the bottom edges over and press to seal. Brush the top with egg and cut vents in the tart’s top.
7. Bake until browned and puffed, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The original recipe can be found at www.marthastewart.com/recipe/ham-and-cheese-puff-tart