One of my best friends brought a homemade tomato pie to our house one day. It was so delicious that I decided to create a recipe based on that dish. One of my friend’s chickens just started laying eggs. She had six yesterday and was in need of a recipe. May I suggest this mediterranean quiche?
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
½ cup milk
1 plum tomato
1 8 oz precooked ham steak-cut into bite size pieces
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese/mozzarella blend
1 tablespoon dried basil or 5 fresh leaves cut into small pieces
½ small onion-finely diced
1 ready made pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line a pie plate with a the ready made pie crust.
3. Evenly spread the Dijon mustard on the bottom portion of the pie crust.
4. In a large bowl whisk together eggs and milk.
5. Add the ham, cheese, onion and basil to the egg mixture and stir until well combined.
6. Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
7. Thinly slice the tomato the long way. Place the tomato slices evenly spaced on top of the egg mixture.
8. Bake in the oven until the crust is golden brown and the eggs are cooked through, approximately 40 minutes